4 Things Healthcare Facilities Should Know About Medical Device Recalls
Posted Sep 13, 2021 from hitconsultant.net
- Joan Melendez, Founder & President of Xcelrate UDI More than 4 million recalled medical devices may harm patients in 2021.
- The FDA has only mandated 4 medical recalls in the entire time of their existence, which means that the safety of patients largely lies in the hands of private, commercial companies.
- But I still find that healthcare workers are unaware of how rampant this problem is.
- There’s no way of knowing the correct medical devices to remove since most recalls do not affect the entire model.
- The FDA took 41 days and on February 23, 2021, posted the recall incorrectly, with only the initial 5 lot numbers.
- Melendez created Xcelrate UDI to help significantly improve patient safety with medical devices, implants and vaccines at the point of care.