6 Unexpected Side Effects Of The Growing Telehealth Market
Posted Sep 13, 2021 from healthitoutcomes.com
- 6 Unexpected Side Effects Of The Growing Telehealth Market By Kayla Matthews, Productivity Bytes Before the telehealth market took off, people could only speculate about the positive and negative effects it might have on healthcare at large.
- Reduced Stigma And Improved Access For Mental Health Patients People who need mental health treatment often don't receive it promptly or at all because they feel too embarrassed to speak in person with a professional about their struggles, or they may have issues like depression or anxiety that make it difficult or impossible to leave the house.
- Since telemedicine is based on technology, critics wonder if the increased telehealth options have a limiting effect on people who do not have reliable internet access or are not tech-savvy.
- Specifically, the investigation discovered telemedicine providers dealt with an increase in office visits once they started providing virtual care, resulting in 6 percent more office visits and 15 percent fewer patients seen overall.
- However, like anything else, it has downsides.